breakmyears

breakmyears

Tuesday 5 May 2009

Rolo Tomassi


Cardiff Barfly 29/4/09
www.myspace.com/rolotomassi

Having never heard Rolo Tomassi before my friend asked if I would like to join him in seeing their gig, I was intreged by their sound. The support acts, "Pulled Apart By Horses" and "Grammatics" were, well fairly unoriginal 'please hand me another drink' sort of acts - or at least the "Grammatics" were. They did not break my ears (in the good sense - hard, rocking, emotional, pounding brilliance) they just irritated me to the point that I sat down and tried to ignore them, like you do a nagging child. However, it was worth standing through them to hear Rolo Tomassi, not because I felt they were ear breaking, but because I thought their music was pretty crazy, and I love hearing crazy shit that makes me question what music really is. Eva, the lead female singer danced wildly across the stage screaming as loud as she could, words I could not for the life of me understand. They are the kind of band you wish you were in. Jump madly, release all your agression - sounds good to me. Their music does not fit their vocals, but I found that oddly quirky. I'd reccomend going to see them for a night out, get drunk, jump about, but they did not break my ears, and i wouldn't buy their CD.

Rating: 4/10, a little too postmodern for my ears.

P.S. Check out Eva's accessories, she makes headbands, clips, bags, etc and sells them at the gig (I was super impressed at this idea!) www.myspace.com/thenightofthelivingthread

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive